Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review - Finding Nouf

I I turned 27 this month. I’m actually fairly excited about it. I have a good feeling about my 27th year of life.

Last year my friend Mckenzie and I made a list of the 26 things we wanted to accomplish while we were 26. I got a fair number of them accomplished, and I decided to do this again for 27! 

One of these things was to read a book a week. This was inspired by a blogger I follow who has done this every week for the past five years. 

In order to keep me honest, I am going to try and post a little bit about the book I read that week.  A bit like second grade book reports, but I’m okay with that.  Feel free to skip over this if it bores you. I won’t mind. 

This week I read Finding Nouf. It was a recommendation from my mom, and she was not wrong, it was a super interesting book. 

The book takes place in Saudi Arabia, and revolves around the murder of the daughter of a wealthy family. The twist is that investigator/main character is a Muslim woman, and much of the book revolves around her life, and the manner in which she must move through the world. It covers everything from the different lives men and women live to why Saudi men don’t like to wear glasses.  

I think the best part about this book was that nearly every chapter I felt like I was learning something new about Islam, Saudi Arabia, or being a woman within a Muslim family. It was fascinating. I highly recommend it. 

Well done Mom.

Next week: Enrique’s Journey: The story of a boy’s dangerous odyssey to reunite with his mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment