Sunday, July 15, 2012

Concepcion, Honduras

Shoulder to Shoulder has two primary clinics in Intibuca; St. Lucia and Concepcion.  In a few weeks, I will be placed at one of these two clinics for the remainder of the year.  Each of the clinics have housing connected to it, for those employees and volunteers that do not live in town.

This week we are spending at Concepcion.  Concepcion is the closer of the two clinics to La Esperanza, but we are still talking at least two hours down a VERY bumpy, dirt road. That being said, it is well worth the trip!

Concepcion has a population of about 8,000 in the entire municipality, but an in-town population of probably a few hundred. The center of town has about five or six blocks of paved roads, with several small stores, a few places to eat, and apparently only one place to make copies.  The clinic is located just up the hill, and it is STUNNING.

Here is a photo of the view I am enjoying while I write this post

Tomorrow, I will head to Guachipilincito (Guachi for short). This clinic was funded by Brown University, who normally does several medical brigades a year to the clinic. I’m going to spend the next two days there observing how brigades work, and what I will be doing for my position.

More photos are soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment