Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blog Material

Sometimes, things occur that are just too good not to share on a blog.

Last night was one of those night. Without a doubt.

I usually take a shower during my break from 4-6 because I simply can't bring myself to take a cold shower at six in the morning. So yesterday afternoon, I had just gotten out of the shower and I was still in my towel, chatting with my roommate Michelle.

Michelle was sitting on her bed. This is an important detail to keep in mind.

So, Michelle and I are chatting, and she moves her arm a bit, and then says "I think something just bit me."  She turns a bit, and lifts her arm, where she felt the bite. This is when I spot something on her back. A big something. At first I thought it was a walking stick.

I have never been more wrong in my life.

To my knowledge walking sticks don't sting people. You know what does sting people? Scorpions. Yep, you read that right, Michelle had a four inch long, scorpion crawling up her back.

So what do I pick up to defend my roommate? A fork. Why? That is an excellent question. I have zero clue what in my head told me that a fork would be worthy weapon against a scorpion. 

Now, remember the details. Michelle has a scorpion on her back. IN HER BED. Meanwhile, I am standing there, still in my towel, with a fork in my hand. A FORK.

My exact words words to Michelle were "Don't move. You may or may not have a tarantula on your back." Apparently, in times of panic, my animal identification is a bit off. Then again, I had also just picked up a fork, so apparently my brain in general is a bit off when it comes to dangerous animal encounters.

My first attempt to encourage the scorpion off Michelle's back, using my extremely fierce weapon, had the exact opposite effect that I was hoping it would have. It instead scurried back up her back.  So, I put my fork above the scorpion, so it would scurry down towards the bed itself. Fortunately, this worked and scorpion scuttled off onto Michelle's sheets.  Michelle jumped up and ran for the door.

Once I was safely dressed, one of the other volunteers and I shook out Michelle's sheets to find the scorpion. We decided we had to avenge Michelle, since it did sting her, and the scorpion was promptly mushed. Don't worry, Michelle got a photo of it first.

Like I said, perfect blog material.

No comments:

Post a Comment