Friday, February 3, 2012

How to eat a baleada

A VERY common food in Honduras is a baleada. It is very similar to a burrito with refried beans, egg, and mantiquilla*, except it is usually served more like a very large taco.

Last night, I was informed by one of the girls that I was not eating my baleada like a Honduran. In fact, several of the girls commented on the fact that I even bothered to bring a fork to a table. Gasp!

So, here is how to eat a baleada:

1. Put down that silly fork.

2. Pull off a piece of the tortilla.

3. Using the tortilla (and your hand) as a sort of spoon, scoop up the egg bean, and mantiquilla mixture.

4. Lick your fingers.

Yep, that is how you eat a baleada. The power went off as I was being instructed, so I hope your learning process goes smoother than mine did.

Oh, Honduras.

*Mantiquilla was explained to me once as “sour cream that didn’t quite make it.” It really does look like super, super runny sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment