Monday, April 9, 2012

It is always the little things...

If I had to pick the biggest lesson I have learned so far in Honduras it is, hands down, that it is all about the little joys in life!

This morning I was in a FOUL mood. My job was frustrating me big time (more on that later), and I was having more than few thoughts of heading home to curl up in a ball and pretend that I don't have a million things to get done.

Three times a year the Holy Family Surgery Center here on the Ranch hosts a massive medical brigade. In a week or so they do some absolutely amazing and life changing surgeries. On Wednesday, the first Brigade I have been here for will begins. I'm super excited to be involved, but I have a ton of little things I need to get done on the "visitor coordinator" side of things.

By far my biggest priority/concern this morning was figuring out how we could get a HUGE quantity of potable (drinkable) water to the Ranch, since we didn't get our usually weekly delivery last week. First of all, just the fact that finding potable water for visitors was my biggest concern right now was fairly frustrating. But besides that, for some reason organizing this seemed to be beyond the limits of my Spanish.

SO. IRRITATING. Nothing puts me in a worse mood than feeling like my Spanish sucks.

Finally, I managed to get (and understand!) the phone number for the manager of our district. Honestly, I didn't think it was going to matter much, but shockingly we got it all set up for them to not only come by tomorrow afternoon, but also for us to buy additional bottles for the surgery center.

My morning was instantly better.

Lesson: Enjoy the little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment