Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hogares

In addition to my primary job here (which I promise to explain at some point), I will be assigned to a hogar, or home, for the year. Every night from 6-8 and every other Saturday, we will be with our individual hogars.

NPH is split into a girls side and a boys side. Fortunately, these two sides are a good distance apart, so it is easy to spot when someone is not where they are supposed to be. From there, the pequenos are further dived into smaller homes, based on age, development, and the dynamic of that individual home.

For the first two weeks of orientation, we are spending every night visiting a different hogar. Some of the hogars will continue with their current volunteer if they are staying on, but others are “open” or will be when the old volunteers leave next month. The Volunteer Coordinator works with each of the new volunteers to figure out what the best fit is going to be.

My first night I visited the “behaviorally challenging” girls home. It went far better than I expected.  Not going to lie, I was a bit nervous they were going to eat me alive. The girls talk a mile a minute and it was a blast to use my Spanish. We had pancakes (and coffee) for dinner and  then I ended up playing a pretty awesome round of Trouble in the rain. Muy fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment