Monday, January 30, 2012

Palabra del dia

Almohada = Pillow

 I keep having moments in Honduras where I am reminded how fortunate I am. I know it sounds cliché, but it is true.

Today, we wrapped up our “official” orientation with a visit to INFHA. INFHA is almost like the governmental alternative to NPH. It is essentially a 3-4 month holding location for children who for one reason or another have been removed from their home. Many of the kids that come to NPH, come through INFHA first.

This facility was built for 30, but it houses around 60 boys, ages 12-18. It was rough. I’m not sure how else to describe it. Many of the kids come off the street. Many will be placed at INFHA repeatedly. Addictions to crack are common, but there are no resources besides giving lots of water and chewing gum.

The kids sleep with the lights on in their dorms because they are so used to sleeping on the street. That way you are always aware of your surroundings.

They can’t have pillows. It is too unsafe.

I’m not sure why I was so struck by this, but I can’t seem to shake it. Can you imagine being 12 years old and living someplace where a pillow was too dangerous to have around?

Lucky. We are all very very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment