Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Proyecto Familiar

Several years ago a NPH Honduras volunteer started a program called Proyecto Familiar. Proyecto was designed to give family members, who likely live in different parts of the Ranch, a chance to spend a night as a family.

Proyecto is now in nearly all the NPH homes, and something that the kids here in Honduras absolutely love. Every night, Monday through Thursday, the volunteer kitchen is taken over by two volunteers and one sibling group. The kids and volunteers usually cook dinner, make a cake, and maybe play a game. The point really isn’t the activity, but just that the family gets a chance to spend the evening just being a family.

Tonight was my first Proyecto night. It was wonderful! I forsee this potentially being one of my favorite Ranch activities. I spent the night with Angel and Merlin, two brothers ages 12 and 17.

I had a lot of fun just spending time with them, but I think the part I liked the best was watching them interact as siblings. Merlin is starting his trade training as an electrician in Tegus this year, and he will be away from the ranch for large chunks of time for the next three years.

Tonight was the last time for a while that they will get to spend together. It was nice to be able to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment